Thursday, June 10, 2010

Update on the rooftop edibles


My rooftop garden is growing wonderfully. I spotted my first green pepper this week and a few days later it was an inch bigger.

When I purchased the cherry tomato plant it already had a little green round growing. This week they started turning colors and I have spotted about 4 more on the vine. Too bad I don't really like tomatoes. My roommate will make good use of them, and I plan to use them for sauces and salsa.




The herbs are amazing! The cilantro, basil, dill, oregano, sage and thyme are all very plentiful. I am planning on making my first batch of sauce and pesto this weekend. I cannot wait to taste the flavor these fresh little herbs are going to add to my favorite recipes.


I knew I was going to enjoy this, but it has become far more gratifying than I had anticipated. Going out on the roof everyday to see if anything new has sprouted is so much fun. I cannot wait until I go out there and spot some red in the tomatoes. I am also really anticipating my first jalapeno pepper. I know I will get tons of use out of them. Beware family and friends...when you see me I will probably be handing you bushels of freshness!

No comments:

Post a Comment