Friday, October 15, 2010

My secrets to a good cupcake.

Following my post a few weeks ago on Phillies themed cupcakes, I received a few inquiries about how I make my cupcakes. So I decided to share my secrets...

There is no secret. Cupcakes and trifles have kind of become my thing. People seem to get excited whenever I make either one. When really, they are both so easy. Especially the cupcakes.

I use the cake mix in a box and the icing out of a tub. That's it. It's not really a secret, I will tell anyone who asks. People still seem to tell me my cupcakes are really tasty and moist compared to when they make them. Why? I have no idea. I think it is because I take the time to make them pretty. We do partially eat with our eyes right? It is all in the presentation.

So here it goes...my "secrets" to a good cupcake.
    1. Whenever I make cupcakes I make a batch of yellow and a batch of chocolate. I haven't settled on a brand I prefer, whichever is labeled "moist".
    2. I rotate the icing combination between chocolate and vanilla (I do prefer french vanilla whenever I can find it). Vanilla on vanilla cake, chocolate on vanilla, vanilla on chocolate and of course chocolate on chocolate.
    3. Scrape all of the icing out of the tub into a bowl and stir until it is really creamy. I never apply the icing with a knife. Instead, I always put it into a pastry bag and squeeze it out onto the cupcake in a circular motions just like an ice cream cone. Always purchase at least 2 containers of icing for each box of mix you use. Running out of icing is the WORST!
    Decorate your cupcakes!
    1. Sometimes I add dye to the vanilla icing depending on the occasion to add color. 
    2. You could add sprinkles or jimmies (yes, they are called jimmies and there is a difference between jimmies and sprinkles). 
    3. Make a visit to your local party store or craft store to check out their selection of cupcake cups. They really have a fun selection out there. Much better than the pale yellow, pink and blue pack you get at the grocery store. May seem like a pointless detail, but I think they add to the presentation.
    4. While you are at the party store look at their selection of decorative toothpicks, drink stirrers and anything else you could put on the top of your cupcakes. Be creative!
    5. You could get really crazy and add my new favorite accent...piped chocolate melts in various shapes, colors or letters that match the theme or occasion you are making the cupcakes for. This is really simple and people LOVE it. Such a cute little touch. Check out my post on the Phillies themed cupcakes to see how I did this.


    Whenever I am planning a party, whether it is a birthday party, baby shower, bridal shower...I incorporate the cupcakes into the decor. Find some way to display them and set them out at the start of the party. People will drooling over them until it is time for dessert, and sometimes sneaking one long before.







    1 comment:

    1. Great info. Lucky me I came across your blog by chance (stumbleupon).
      I've saved it for later!
      My web site : lanautica.com

      ReplyDelete