Saturday, May 1, 2010

Thank you "SweetLady"!

Sweetlady's Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownie Trifle

This is the trifle that started it all. I made it a few years ago for Christmas and many, many times since. Everyone loves it and asks for the recipe. It is also my Grandmom's favorite so I can't help but make it often for her. Truth be told whenever I am making a trifle to bring to a family gathering I always think about whether or not my Grandmom will like it. She is the boss after all. At least according to my Grandpop she is.

I usually make this one in the winter because it is very rich. Delicious, but rich. Next time I make it I will take pictures for you. This one is a show stopper. Everyone starts salivating as soon as I walk through the door. The full recipe is located at the link below, but I have made a few adjustments over the years.
Click here for Sweetlady's full recipe.

You can tell this isn't my recipe because it contains measurements.
Ingredients:
Servings: 
24
Brownies boxed brownies work just fine. Don't stress yourself too much. Use 3 eggs instead of 2. It makes them a little more cake like and not so dense.

  • 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup baking cocoa
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 3/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
Peanut Butter Filling
  • 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 cup peanut butter I add a little more peanut butter. 
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1 (16 ounce) Cool Whip
  • 4 peanut butter cups, chopped. I have made this so many times that I hardly follow the recipe anymore. I just looked over it again and saw she only calls for 4 peanut butter cups. 4?! No way. I use many more. I don't know how many, but it is a lot. At least 8. I don't mix it in the the rest of the filling either. I make it a layer of it's own. Makes it prettier and yummier that way. Plus I crumble some on the top.
  • chocolate syrup

Directions:

Prep Time: 35 mins
Total Time: 1 hr

Brownies:

  • Preheat oven to 350.
  1. Grease 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
  2. Combine dry ingredients in large mixer bowl; stir.
  3. Add wet ingredients and stir well.
  4. Spread into prepared baking pan.
  5. Bake for 18 to 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out slightly sticky. Let cool completely.   
Trifle:
  1. Mix cream cheese and powdered sugar until smooth
  2.  Add in peanut butter and milk. Combine.
  3. Fold in Cool Whip until combined.
  4. Take half of the brownies out and crumble in large glass bowl, if you have one, or in a 13x9 pan.
  5. Add a layer of the peanut butter mixture.
  6. Take the other half of the brownies out and crumble on top of the peanut butter mixture.
  7. Put the last half of the peanut butter mixture on top.
  8. Drizzle chocolate syrup on top.
  9. Add the chopped peanut butter cups on top.
  10. Refrigerate until serving time.

2 comments:

  1. ah! you're killing me with all of these delicious looking trifles. i've never made one and i think i need to change that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you will love them because you can be creative and kinda design the construction of it to be pretty.

    ReplyDelete