Sunday, September 12, 2010

I love when a solo Saturday unexpectedly turns out to be fantastic.

The summer months tend to get away from you easily. There are always more occasions to celebrate, people to see and things to do. Last night was initially going to go the same way. I was debating whether or not I wanted to go out when I saw these 3 chunks of clay scraps sitting on my table. I wondered what color they would produce if I mixed them together. Next thing I knew I was in my comfy clothes with my ipod in, and I was creating. The more I made, the more energized I became. Last night turned out to be an inspired, motivating and satisfying night. I was singing off the top of my lungs and dancing while clay was baking. I guess my secret single behavior is no longer a secret...I ROCK OUT when I am alone. The ipod helps to drown out the world...and my own terrible singing.

I forget how much I love and NEED nights like this. I know this sounds cheesy...they feed my soul. I put everyone and everything out of my head and focus on the task at hand. For me, it is a cleansing experience. Sometimes I get so bogged down with orders and requests that I forget just how much I really love designing and making jewelry as it comes to me in the moment. Working without a plan, vision or task already planted in my head is when my favorite pieces are made.

Note to self...
At first the idea of spending a Saturday night at home was something I was trying to avoid. Why? Why do people become uncomfortable with the idea of spending time alone? If you do not enjoy spending time with yourself how can you expect anyone else to? Usually I look forward to the opportunity to do whatever I want without the input of others, but being so busy all summer caused me to forget how much I love these nights. Don't get me wrong, there are definitely people I would've wanted to spend my time with, but last night I was reminded that I am a girl who also enjoys spending the night solo from time to time, locking myself into the zone and being creative.

Unfortunately nights like this cannot happen all the time, and frankly they shouldn't for a number of reasons. But I do need to make time and appreciate these nights whenever the opportunity arises.

1 comment:

  1. Ryann, this post made me smile when I first read it because I am the same way. I need quiet alone time to stay sane. For me, it's a way to re-group and a "cleansing experience", as you perfectly described it. I also find that people don't understand why one would prefer or want to be alone. I get so overwhelmed when I am trying to do work with other people in the room. In college, when I had a paper to write, or a painting due, I would wait until my roommates all went to sleep before I started working. It probably wasn't too healthy for my sleeping cycle, but I was definitely more focused. Good for you for catching a few quiet moments for yourself and creating new beautiful work :)

    ReplyDelete