Thursday, February 3, 2011

Screw Jared's. He went to Michaels!

Gift giving can already be a pretty difficult task. Add into the mix that your girlfriend designs jewelry and that automatically scratches one of the go to ideas off the list. Don't get me wrong, I will always enjoy something sparkly, but when the occasion just calls for something small like a pair of earrings or a bracelet, it doesn't make sense to buy me one when I can make it myself.

So what do you give your jewelry designing girlfriend?

Well this Christmas, our first Christmas, my boyfriend figured it out. He wrapped up polymer clay tools, jewelry supplies, pendants and findings so I can make my own jewelry! Not only did he venture into the craft store, but he went into the jewelry aisle where any man would feel out of sorts and clueless. This could not have suited me any better. He earned points for several reasons...going to Michaels, understanding that it really is the simple things that make me happy while also thinking outside the box and not going the typical route most guys do when it comes to gifts. He also scored some style points by selecting items I am actually able to work with.

He tells me I am supposed to make jewelry out of these gifts to sell. How am I supposed to take something so thoughtful and meaningful and give it to someone else? I won't be doing this. At least not this year. This year I am making jewelry for myself to wear. Wear proudly because I have such a thoughtful man in my life.

So what am I going to make?

The first thing I made out of my awesome Christmas gifts was a necklace using the dragonfly pendant Jeff gave me. I have been wanting to take a break from my orders to make a new necklace for myself, and this gave me the perfect excuse. It has been a long time since I had a sentimental piece of jewelry. One of the downfalls of making your own is that I can't say oh this necklace was given to me by...when I...to celebrate...Of course my jewelry is special to me because I made it, but I am a sentimental sap and I always like a hidden meaning in things. The plan was to use this pendant in an "everyday" necklace that I can wear frequently. so I chose to accent the dragonfly with brown beads to keep it neutral. I chose the the converter design so I can wear it with many different outfits.

Why am I calling this a converter necklace?

Because it is 2 necklaces in one! I use the loop of a toggle class as a decorative and functional piece. I just double up the chain and slide the bar through the loop when I want to wear it as a short necklace. I will be using this design often so I can offer my customers a piece that they can get the most use out of. I am looking forward to discovering the possibilities.





4 comments:

  1. Score! Sounds like you've got quite the catch. :) How sweet of him to get you findings AND tools! I completely understand what you mean. This year my boyfriend got me some sewing supplies- a self-healing mat and rotary cutter to make my life much easier when trying to measure and cut fabric. He also got me a gift card to Michael's which I am very appreciative of. It really is the little things : )

    I wouldn't want to sell that necklace either. It's lovely! P.S. He gets bonus points for choosing a dragon fly!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Dan did very well too! Kudos to the men for dealing with our creative OCD. I can't wait to see where you go with the sewing.

    Oh and he also gave me one of those stacking craft storage cubes because my work station is a total mess. Haha. I believe his words were, "you have crap everywhere." :-) So true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so sweet. I am with you a 100%. Make pretty jewelry for yourself with this batch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the necklace, so delicate and pretty. I like giving vouchers as gifts, never go too far wrong.

    ReplyDelete