Sunday, July 4, 2010

4th of July Trifle

What do you think of when you think of a great 4th of July dessert? Probably something with strawberries and blueberries right? Maybe strawberry shortcake or fruit pizza? Well that is exactly what I didn’t want to do. I was trying to steer away from the typical desserts. I was also in the mood for chocolate, but I didn’t want it to be too rich because this day was going to be a scorcher. When I was at the market I saw some raspberries and blackberries on sale and I thought that could work to incorporate the 4th of July theme and add a nice light pairing to the chocolate. Now for the “mortar layer” I thought back to a trifle I made for Christmas that called for white chocolate pudding. This was a big hit and I knew it went well with chocolate and would pair well with fruit too. So there you have it… A brownie, blackberry, raspberry and white chocolate trifle.

Ingredients
1 box of your favorite brownie mix
1 pint of black berries
1 pint of raspberries
1 box of white chocolate pudding
1 container of cool whip (8 ounce)

I made the brownie according to the directions on the box (add an extra egg for cake-like brownies). I always split the batter and bake them into 2  9" round cake pans. Some people prefer to cut the brownie into squares for their trifle layers; I prefer a more solid layer so I push the whole round right down into my trifle dish.
I found early on that making the brownie mix with 3 eggs instead of 2 was better for the trifle because it gave the brownie a more fluffy “cake-like” texture instead of a thick fudgy texture. You have to be careful not to make your trifle too rich and dense because you already have so many intense flavors working together.
                                                                                   
Make the white chocolate pudding and set in the fridge to cool.
While you rinse your berries set aside enough berries to decorate the top. However many you want, just pick the prettiest berries.
Next, mash the rest of the blackberries and raspberries with a potato masher. I mixed in a TINY bit of cornstarch and honey to thicken and sweeten up the berry mixture. Next, layer as you wish.  
Click here for my layering tips.
Top the trifle with a layer of cool whip, berries and a chocolate drizzle. This trifle was especially pretty with all of the bold layers of color.

No comments:

Post a Comment