Monday, July 19, 2010

S’mores Trifle

This one is great for the kids!

For my Grandpop’s 80th Birthday party this weekend I volunteered to bring a dessert with me. I knew there would be a cake so I didn’t want to make anything “cake-like”. I also wanted to make something light  because of the heat. I went with the perfect summer themed dessert…S’mores!



Ingredients
1 container of marshmallow fluff
1 boxes of chocolate fudge pudding
1 box of graham crackers
1 bag of mini marshmallows
1 bag of chocolate chips
1 (8 ounce) container of cool whip
  





Base layer
Graham crackers-I used one sleeve of crackers per cracker layer. You can just quarter them or crumble a little bit (not too much so they don’t get mushy and your layers seep together) and scatter them on the bottom.

                                                                               
Mortar layers
Originally I was just going to do a layer of the marshmallow fluff but I thought that would be too thick and gooey so I blended it with the container of cool whip. This turned out to be a nice creamy texture. I may tinker with this layer a bit more the next time I make it.
-You can do whatever you want here. Just fluff would’ve been OK once I tasted the trifle.

Of course you need some chocolate so I chose to use chocolate fudge pudding.
2 layers of pudding= 2 boxes. One box per layer.

                                                                            

Focal Layer
I sprinkled the mini marshmallows and chocolate chips around for this layer to add some substance since the trifle didn’t consist of any cake or brownies.









Top (my favorite part of this trifle)
Sprinkle some of the chocolate chips all around the top and crumbled graham crackers. In the center I placed some toasted marshmallows. I didn’t have a campfire handy yesterday morning so I layered a cookie sheet with foil, sprayed it with nonstick cooking spray and piled on some marshmallows. Then I stuck it in the broiler. *Keep an eye on it because you just want to toast the marshmallows a little bit and they will catch on fire.*
To remove them I waited for the foil to cool a little and then turned it upside down so the toasted layer plopped in my hand. Then I gently flipped it on top of the trifle.

Everyone was really impressed with the appearance of this one. And it was so easy!!

1 comment: